Am I eligible for a HECS-HELP loan?
You may be eligible for HECS-HELP if you are:
- an Australian citizen, if you commenced your program prior to 1 January 2013, or
- an Australian citizen, who will undertake in Australia at least one course with your provider, if you commenced your program on or after 1 January 2013, or
- an Australian permanent humanitarian visa holder, and will be resident in Australia for the duration of your courses, or
- an eligible New Zealand Citizen who holds a Special Category visa (SCV)*.
- enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place.
You are not eligible for HECS-HELP if you are:
- an International student;
- a New Zealand citizen who does NOT meet the required criteria*
- the holder of a permanent non-humanitarian visa.
* From 1 January 2016 the Australian Federal Government implemented legislation allowing New Zealand citizens who are Special Category Visa holders and who meet the long term eligibility criteria to access HELP loans. For further information on the long term eligibility criteria please go to Government HELP loans.