Am I eligible for a HECS-HELP loan?

You may be eligible for HECS-HELP if you are either:

  • an Australian citizen, who will undertake in Australia at least one course with your provider
  • an Australian permanent humanitarian visa holder, and will be resident in Australia for the duration of your courses
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen who holds a Special Category visa (SCV)* and will be residnent in Australia for the duration of your courses. 

and you

  • are enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place
  • have provided your valid Tax File Number**.

You are not eligible for HECS-HELP if you are:

  • an international student;
  • a New Zealand citizen who does NOT meet the required criteria*
  • the holder of a permanent non-humanitarian visa.

You can visit Government HELP loans and/or Study Assist for further information.

* From 1 January 2016 the Australian Federal Government implemented legislation allowing New Zealand citizens who are Special Category Visa holders and who meet the long term eligibility criteria to access HELP loans. For further information on the long term eligibility criteria please go to Government HELP loans.

**If you have not yet received your Tax File Number (TFN), you can obtain a 'Certificate of Application for a TFN' from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), or an Australia Post TFN application summary with the matching barcoded receipt, and submit it to your nearest Student Connect location by the census date.

Was this answer helpful?

Answer ID: 471