Am I eligible for a HECS-HELP loan?Updated 08/06/2022 02.34 PM
You may be eligible for HECS-HELP if you are either:
- an Australian citizen, who will undertake in Australia at least one course with your provider
- an Australian permanent humanitarian visa holder, and will be resident in Australia for the duration of your courses
- an eligible New Zealand citizen who holds a Special Category visa (SCV)* and will be resident in Australia for the duration of your courses
- an eligible former Australian permanent humanitarian visa holder and will be a resident in Australia for the duration of your course.
- are enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place
- have provided your valid Tax File Number**
- have provided your Unique Student Identifier (USI)
The Australian Government's Job-ready Graduates Package has introduced new funding regulations that could impact some students. Find out if you may be affected here.
You are not eligible for HECS-HELP if you are:
- an international student;
- a New Zealand citizen who does NOT meet the required criteria*
- the holder of a permanent non-humanitarian visa.
Further information can be found on the Commonwealth Supported Places and HECS-HELP factsheet and Government HELP loans.
* From 1 January 2016 the Australian Federal Government implemented legislation allowing New Zealand citizens who are Special Category Visa holders and who meet the long term eligibility criteria to access HELP loans. For further information on the long term eligibility criteria please go to Government HELP loans.**If you have not yet received your Tax File Number (TFN), you can obtain a 'Certificate of Application for a TFN' from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), or an Australia Post TFN application summary with the matching barcoded receipt, and submit it to your nearest Student Connect location by the census date.