I am now an Australian permanent resident. Can I defer my fees to HECS-HELP?

No. To access a HECS-HELP loan you must be studying in a Commonwealth supported place, AND:

  • be an Australian Citizen, or
  • be the holder of a Permanent Humanitarian visa, or
  • be an eligible New Zealand Citizen who holds a Special Category visa (SCV).

As an Australian permanent resident you need to pay your fees upfront prior to the census date of each trimester.

Was this answer helpful?
Your rating has been submitted; please tell us how we can make this answer more useful.

Answer ID: 379