How do I prepare a research proposal for admission to a HDR program?
Your draft research proposal should include the following:
- dissertation/thesis title
- summary of project (max 100 words)
- rationale - brief review of relevant research in the field
- statement of the principal focus of intended research
- significance of the study
- intended methodology and project feasibility
- anticipated project costs (if required by your enrolling school)
- any requirements for specialist equipment or resources.
Your proposal should not be longer than two to three pages. Remember, your research question will provide the key research focus for the full duration of your degree, so it is important that you consult a wide variety of resources and select a topic you feel highly motivated to investigate. For more information about developing a proposal, go to how to apply to download our higher degrees by research application guide.