Am I eligible for SA-HELP?

To be eligible for SA-HELP you need to:

  • be an Australian citizen, if you commenced your program prior to 1 January 2013, or
  • be an Australian citizen, who will undertake in Australia at least one course with your provider, if you commenced your program on or after 1 January 2013, or
  • hold a permanent humanitarian visa and be resident in Australia for the duration of your course/s, or
  • be an eligible New Zealand Citizen who holds a Special Category visa (SCV)*.

AND you need to:

  • be enrolled in a course of study;
  • provide your Tax File Number (TFN)#.

* From 1 January 2016 the Australian Federal Government implemented legislation allowing New Zealand citizens who are Special Category Visa holders and who meet the long term eligibility criteria to access HELP loans. For further information on the long term eligibility criteria, please go to Government HELP loans.

# If you have not yet received your TFN you can obtain a 'Certificate of Application for a TFN' from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), or an Australia Post TFN application summary with the matching barcoded receipt, and submit it to your Student Centre by the census date.

You can find out more information about SA-HELP by visiting Study Assist.

Was this answer helpful?

Answer ID: 2009