Am I eligible for SA-HELP?

Updated 10/02/2022 10.06 AM

To be eligible for SA-HELP you need to either be:

  • an Australian citizen
  • an Australian permanent humanitarian visa holder, an eligible former permanent humanitarian visa holder
  • a New Zealand citizen who holds a Special Category visa (SCV)and meets the long-term residency requirements. 

AND you: 

  • are enrolled in a course of study
  • will be studying at least one unit of your course in Australia
  • provide your Tax File Number (TFN)#.
  • provide your Unique Student Identifier (USI)

* From 1 January 2016 the Australian Federal Government implemented legislation allowing New Zealand citizens who are Special Category Visa holders and who meet the long term eligibility criteria to access HELP loans. For further information on the long term eligibility criteria, please go to Government HELP loans.

# If you have not yet received your TFN you can obtain a 'Certificate of Application for a TFN' from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), or an Australia Post TFN application summary with the matching barcoded receipt, and submit it to Student Connect by the census date.

Further information can be found on the SA HELP factsheet and Government HELP loans.

Was this answer helpful?

Answer ID: 2009