How do I defer my QTAC, UAC or direct offer?

Domestic students

Step 1: Accept the offer

Note: You can apply for deferment within your QTAC application when responding to your offer.

Step 2: Check your degree allows for deferrals

Deferment is not available for Bachelor of Dental Health Science, Bachelor of Contemporary Australian Indigenous Art, Bachelor of Midwifery, Bachelor of Physiotherapy, Queensland Conservatorium programs and some postgraduate programs. If your program does not allow deferment, this will be stated in the Degree and career finder.

Step 3: Apply for deferral

If you have received a UAC, Direct or Postgraduate offer,  please email your request to us at with the following details:

  • your Griffith ID
  • your full name
  • your date of birth
  • the trimester and year that you would like to commence
  • the reasons why you would like to defer your commencement.

Your deferral will be automatically processed to commence in Trimester 1 of the next calendar year. If you would like to shorten/lengthen your deferment, please check there is an available intake and email Your period of deferment must not exceed 12 months.

International students

Please see: I am an international student. I wish to defer my offer into a degree program. What should I do?

All students please note: If you have already started your studies you need to see - How do I apply for a leave of absence?

Was this answer helpful?

Answer ID: 1910