Am I eligible for a FEE-HELP loan?
You may be eligible for FEE-HELP if you are:
- an Australian citizen, if you commenced your program prior to 1 January 2013, or
- an Australian citizen who will undertake in Australia at least one unit of study with their provider, if you commenced your program on or after 1 January 2013, or
- the holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa and will be resident in Australia for the duration of your course/s, or
- the holder of an Australian permanent visa who is undertaking bridging study for overseas-training professions, and will be a resident in Australia for the duration of your course/s, or
- an eligible New Zealand Citizen who holds a Special Category visa (SCV)*.
- are studying at an approved FEE-HELP provider (approved provider) or through Open Universities Australia (OUA);
- are enrolled in an eligible course of study by the census date for that course;
- have not exceeded the FEE-HELP limit; and
- provided your valid Tax File Number (TFN).
* The Australian Federal Government has recently implemented changes to allow New Zealand citizens who are Special Category Visa holders and who meet the requisite criteria access to HELP loans from 1 January 2016.
If you have not yet received your TFN you can obtain a 'Certificate of Application for a TFN' from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) , or an Australia Post TFN application summary with the matching barcoded receipt, and submit it to your Student Centre by the census date.
See also: How much will my fees be?