Am I eligible for a FEE-HELP loan?

You may be eligible for FEE-HELP if you are:

  • an Australian citizen, if you commenced your program prior to 1 January 2013, or
  • an Australian citizen who will undertake in Australia at least one unit of study with their provider, if you commenced your program on or after 1 January 2013, or
  • the holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa and will be resident in Australia for the duration of your course/s, or
  • the holder of an Australian permanent visa who is undertaking bridging study for overseas-training professions, and will be a resident in Australia for the duration of your course/s, or
  • an eligible New Zealand Citizen who holds a Special Category visa (SCV)*.

AND you:

  • are studying at an approved FEE-HELP provider (approved provider) or through Open Universities Australia (OUA);
  • are enrolled in an eligible course of study by the census date for that course;
  • have not exceeded the FEE-HELP limit; and
  • provided your valid Tax File Number (TFN)#.

You can find out more information about Commonwealth support by visiting Study Assist and Government HELP loans.

* From 1 January 2016 the Australian Federal Government implemented legislation allowing New Zealand citizens who are Special Category Visa holders and who meet the long term eligibility criteria to access HELP loans. For further information on the long term eligibility criteria visit Government HELP Loans.

# If you have not yet received your TFN you can obtain a 'Certificate of Application for a TFN' from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) , or an Australia Post TFN application summary with the matching barcoded receipt, and submit it to your Student Centre by the census date.

See also: How much will my fees be?

Was this answer helpful?

Answer ID: 1865