Can I upgrade my research masters program to doctoral candidature?

Yes. To upgrade from a research masters to doctoral candidature you will need to have produced a coherent body of work of sufficient substance during the research masters candidature to enable an assessment to be made about the candidate's capacity to produce work at doctoral standard.
If you apply to upgrade, you will be required to demonstrate how the original research proposal has been expanded and enhanced in a manner that effects the demands of a doctoral program. Many candidates elect to upgrade via the confirmation milestone. You will need to discuss upgrading via confirmation with your supervisor. For further information on the upgrading procedure, please see program upgrade.
A service request can be made through myGriffith > My research > My Candidate Centre.
Please note:
  • if you are a Master of Philosophy (MPhil) student, you may apply to upgrade to a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program only
  • if you are enrolled in a research masters, other than the Master of Philosophy (MPhil), you may apply to upgrade to a professional doctorate program only.

Was this answer helpful?

Answer ID: 1191